My Keys:

Discuss keys,paddles,keyers here.
Jim_VE3NWN

My Keys:

Postby Jim_VE3NWN » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:03 pm

So what keys do all you guys & girls have & use?
I have the mfj/bencher combo that I like; but right now the contacts need cleaning & the paddle adjusted.
I am using my Palomar ICKeyer which has the advantage of being powered by a 9V battery, so good for camping.
Also have a nice solid Nye straight key which I use for Straight Key Night.
And an el-cheapo straight key, no name, I think came from RS or from Heathkit.
Lastly I have an older Vibroplex Bug, which I have adjusted not too bad (not easy to do) which I am learning the bug technique with.
That's my group of keys. On my want list is a Palm Mini-Paddle to use camping and backpacking.
Sure am interested in what everyone else has and what you think of them.
Jim
VE3NWN

admin
Site Admin

Re: My Keys:

Postby admin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:51 pm

You have some nice keys in your collection Jim. I have two bugs that are fine tuned with large after market weights on them. They will go all the way down to 15 WPM ! http://www.2bradioparts.com/page33.html It took me about a year of using a bug to become good at it. I use my bugs for SKCC WES events. My key collection can be seen on the home page of morsecodemasters.com I am most proud of the two straight keys I built two years ago. I would highly recommend the WB9LPU Straight Key Project (https://sites.google.com/site/wb9lpu/ECI-KEY9.pdf)
If it wasn't for Dit there would be no Dah !

Jim_VE3NWN

Postby Jim_VE3NWN » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:24 pm

Yes you have some great keys Joe. I have taken a look on the website.
That's what I need for my bug - larger, heavier weight to slow it down to 15wpm. That would help my practice with it. I like to use it or my straight key for SKCC events. Also when camping.
I am planning on going to the North Shore AR Club's spring Flea Market in mid April. Will be looking for a couple of items including always keeping an eye open for neat keys. I would like a Palm Mini-Paddles; not the micro, but the mini.

Jim_VE3NWN

Postby Jim_VE3NWN » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Oh, and also the two hombrew straight keys are awesome. They look beautiful and I bet they work good too.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:27 pm

Yep, they really do ! Very smooth and responsive action. I was amazed when I finished building them how well they looked and worked. It took over 30 hours each. Not a small project for a beginner. But totally worth it.
If it wasn't for Dit there would be no Dah !

Return to “Keys & Key Building”