Torsion Bar Key Project

Discuss keys,paddles,keyers here.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Torsion Bar Key Project

Postby admin » Sun May 03, 2015 12:50 pm

Maybe I should be carefull about using those words not to give someone the wrong impression. I have a VERY small shop. Three small machines and a bunch of hand tools. I do have a lot of bits and pieces of things laying around though. I would like to invest in a small drill mill next. It doesnt take much to make these keys. But it sure makes it easier if you have a shop full of nice metal and woodworking gear.

The key still needs a finished wooden base and finger piece. I think I will make the base a little larger for more stability since the key itself only weighs 13 ounces.
If it wasn't for Dit there would be no Dah !

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun May 03, 2015 9:45 pm

Managed to find some time this weekend to make a nicer looking finger piece from some .25 inch red oak. Also made a larger wooden base. Everything is stained and drying waiting for a couple coats of polyurethane. Getting closer to finished but still have some work to do taking the tool marks out of the brass and making it shine.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 05, 2015 1:40 pm

Applied three coats of polyurethane to wooden base and finger piece over the past couple of days. Ready to assemble the entire key tonight and make sure everything fits and works. Then take it all apart again and remove tool marks and shine up the brass. I also want to make some longer contact screws out of 3MM brass rod. I plan to make a custom thumb screw assemble with the thumb nuts I have on hand. This will make adjusting the contact gap much easier.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed May 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Assembled the key last night. Finger piece and base look great. Not happy with the lever arm though. The hole for the torsion bar is slightly off (not vertical) causing the torsion bar to be out of plumb which causes the lever arm to not be exactly level. I am going to rebuild the lever arm. I will take my time and some VERY careful drilling. It's very easy to be off slightly.

Jim_VE3NWN

Postby Jim_VE3NWN » Sat May 09, 2015 12:19 am

Nice job Joe.
Sounds good on the video.
Look forward to wrking U with the key - 7.035 and up, Sat 09 May - 7pm EDT = 23:00 UTC.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri May 15, 2015 8:36 pm

Did some more work over the past couple days. Made custom contact screws. New finger piece and larger base. Key is pretty much done execpt for polishing.

tbk-proto.jpg
tbk-proto.jpg (271.43 KiB) Viewed 529 times

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri May 22, 2015 5:52 pm

The key is finished. Hooked up and ready to go. I polished it up and it really looks and feels nice. The project has 21 holes, 20 screws and 20 other unique parts. This was a chanllenging project for only using simple tools. I have a milling machine on the way so things will be much easier in the future. Thanks for following my progress and feel free to ask questions.

tbk-final1.jpg
tbk-final1.jpg (269.59 KiB) Viewed 526 times

Return to “Keys & Key Building”