The Brick - Straight Key Project

Discuss keys,paddles,keyers here.
admin
Site Admin

The Brick - Straight Key Project

Postby admin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:14 pm

I'm working on a new straight key project called The Brick. I named it that because it is mounted on a massive 3/4 inch thick piece of brass. This key will weigh in around 3 pounds !!

This project is in preparation to start putting some key kits together. I am playing around with some tooling ideas to minimize the effort and get consistent and quality parts. At this point in the game it's far easier to just build the key !

I spent a few hours in the shop today squaring up parts and drilling most of the critical holes. Still a long way to go but I think this is going to be really cool key.

the brick 1.jpg
the brick 1.jpg (252.64 KiB) Viewed 808 times
Attachments
the brick 2.jpg
the brick 2.jpg (224.7 KiB) Viewed 808 times
If it wasn't for Dit there would be no Dah !

Jim_VE3NWN

Re: The Brick - Straight Key Project

Postby Jim_VE3NWN » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:09 pm

Excellent!!!
Definitely not a backpacking key - ha, ha.
However, I would use one in my shack with pride.

W2VM

Postby W2VM » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:16 pm

Joe,

The "Brick" looks great! This key won't take a back seat to anything. I agree with Jim..looking forward to hearing the "kit" is ready to go.

Craig / W2VM

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:13 pm

Ordered some more metal yesterday. I'm going to experiment with increasing the size of the base to 3x4.5x.750 inches for more weight and stability. The base alone weighs 3 pounds. The finished key will be close to 3.5 pounds.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:18 pm

Machined a new lever arm with a 3/8 inch step down at the knob end. This will lower the knob to the table top by about 3/8 of an inch and give it a cool look.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:16 pm

Finished machining the base with nice 1/16 inch corner rounded edges. The lever arm is complete expect for tapping a few holes for adjustment screws and knob. The trunion supports and trunion are complete. Still need to position and drill a hole for the contact scew and drill all the base mounting holes and make the spring tension assembly. Then take it all apart and shine it up. Hopefully only a few more hours. Getting closer !!

the brick 3.jpg
the brick 3.jpg (190.83 KiB) Viewed 777 times

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:15 pm

The first Brick rolls off the assembly line today !! Weighing in at 3 pounds ten ounces sporting a diamond swirl brushed brass finished base with polished aluminum parts with brass accents. The knob is a 3D printed navy knob. This key is solid as a rock or "brick" and silky smooth. Offered at $125 plus shipping. Now taking orders. See my Key Sales thread for more details. Thanks -Joe N3HEE

the brick prod1.jpg
the brick prod1.jpg (233.77 KiB) Viewed 700 times

Return to “Keys & Key Building”