The Swipe-O-Matic - Sideswiper Project

Discuss keys,paddles,keyers here.
admin
Site Admin

The Swipe-O-Matic - Sideswiper Project

Postby admin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:59 pm

Thanks to Mike for putting the "cootie" key bug in my head ! Pun intended. I've been thinking about building a more advanced sideswiper. One with a few extra features. One mounted on a massively heavy base. One that will offer four different modes of operation. Priced under $100 fully assembled!

Here is what I came up with so far.

Modes:
1. Cootie mode - Just a plain old fashioned sideswiper.
2. Straight key mode - Tap on either contact for some fun straight key action.
3. Bug mode - If your electronic keyer supports bug mode then automatic dits with manual dahs.
4. Single lever mode - Single lever paddle mode. Automatic dits and dahs. Electronic keyer required.

Features:
1. Adjustable contact spacing - Nothing new here.
2. Adjustable lever length - This effects the lever tension and feel.
3. Mode selection options - Fully insulated contacts to support wiring for four different modes of operation.
4. Adjustable length hack saw blade lever - A must have ! No tools required for adjustment.
5. Massive 3/4 inch thick machined brass base plate - Weighs in at over 2 pounds. Option for even heavier 3 pound base.
6. Sturdy 6061 aircraft aluminum lever and contact supports.
7. Wooden or aluminum finger piece.
If it wasn't for Dit there would be no Dah !

admin
Site Admin

Re: The Swipe-O-Matic - Sideswiper Project

Postby admin » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:12 pm

I have decided to build a dual key. A sideswiper and straight key mounted on the same base. A great key for SKCC WES weekends !!

admin
Site Admin

Re: The Swipe-O-Matic - Sideswiper Project

Postby admin » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Built a prototype of a basic sideswiper this past weekend. Simple hack saw blade with one end mounted in a slotted block of solid aluminum and the other end spaced evenly between a two contact screws mounted in a solid aluminum contact holder. Blade can quickly and easily be moved on or out for tension and feel. It's mounted on a 4x 2.5 inch solid brass base. It matches the look of the Skinny Brick straight key and look great side by side. So I think this will make a good pair when bolted together. Bolted together it measures 4 x 5.5 inches and weighs in at about 5 pounds. I will probably make the sideswiper able to function as a single lever paddle and bug. Then you will have a straight key, paddle, bug (bug mode with keyer) and sideswiper all on one compact platform.
Attachments
Cootie.JPG
Cootie.JPG (245.64 KiB) Viewed 351 times

Return to “Keys & Key Building”