How many really know that they HAVE bad habits?

Discuss bad habits here.
W1SFR

How many really know that they HAVE bad habits?

Postby W1SFR » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:31 pm

I was having a QSO the other night. I was using a cootie key. The op on the other end kept asking me what the weight of my keyer was set at and that something was wrong with it because it was constantly changing it's timing. HiHi. I told him that I was using a side swiper. He went on and on about how his brain couldn't wrap his head around the copy because he was distracted by the changes in timing. That was a first for me, but certainly got me thinking about what "bad habits" I might have developed over the last few years using a cootie key almost exclusively. Time to make some recordings of my QSO's to find out. Steve, W1SFR

admin
Site Admin

Re: How many really know that they HAVE bad habits?

Postby admin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:42 am

Steve, I could copy you fine but I'm used to copying the irregular "swing" of bug and cootie ops. We all tend to have that to some degree. Although, I've had a couple of QSO's with cootie ops that I would swear where using a keyer. Recordings are a great way to hear what you "really" sound like. Most ops are too polite to let you know you have issues sending. I give my students honest constructive feedback in class so they will become aware of and correct any issues they may be having with sending. If I encounter a bad fist on the air I will sometimes send them an email to offer feedback and advice.
If it wasn't for Dit there would be no Dah !

Return to “Breaking Bad Habits”